Monday, May 23, 2011

NICU

And now for the rest of the story. Gary went with Dallin when they took him out of the surgery room. Later he came and told me they took Dallin to the NICU. I did not really panic to much a few of my friends had big babies so dealing with blood sugar they were in there for a few hours then returned with Mom. They moved me to my own room and my dad and step mom came in from Utah to be there. This is when I found out that Dallin would not be joining us for the rest of that day. It was hard I could not get out of bed so I couldn't see him. My parents came all the way from Utah they would not be able to see him. Gary kept going back forth with reports. While this was going on I had a bad reaction to the Morphine so my whole face was burning and itching so I kept itching which my skin ended up falling off of my chin I looked like I got carpet burn. Then I got really sick and could not stop throwing up. My poor family was in the room and all sudden I would say, "shut the curtain!" Gary would hurry shut the curtain and I would get sick in a little bucket they gave us. It did get better has the day went on. Luckily we had visitors Monday my dad, step mom Diane, Aunt Kelly, Gina, Jill, my kids, and Patti all came and visited they were life savers it kept my mind off not having my baby. Gary went home and about 9pm I finally stopped throwing up so the nurse took me to see my baby.


It was awesome to see him, but at the same time I realized he was not going anywhere for awhile. He was in a incubator, tubes, wires, probes going everywhere. I was not allowed to hold him or even touch him. I watched them feed him through a tube coming out his nose. It was awesome to see, but was awful at the same time. I think with all the medicine going though me I really did okay. I would like to say I was super strong the whole time I was in there.

But the next morning the nurse came in and asked, "How are we doing today?" I started bawling my eyes out. I just wanted my baby so much. My doctor came in to see me and calmed me down when he said that he could keep me in there till Saturday. He would do what he needed to keep me. He was awesome. That relieved so much stress knowing I would not have to go home without Dallin. We were able to go in that day and they let us feed Dallin. We needed to measure the amount of milk he was getting we had to use a bottle. And because he was on a feeding tube we had to massage the bottom of his chin to show him how to eat. Luckily my friend Hillary let me use her pump so I was able to give him my milk. He also did not need assistance with breathing any longer. Wednesday Emily, Kim, and Patti came to visit. Really visitors, phone calls, and text message were life savers it kept my mind off Dallin. So thank you!

Thursday morning I went into see my baby and he had been moved to a crib!! This was a big step! I got to change his diaper. That was one of the many things about having a baby in the NICU. I hope this does not sound bad, but I did not feel like Dallin was mine. I had to ask to do anything and they watch you do everything. Better safe then sorry, but it was hard. Back on track by noon they took Dallin off the IV! They did the car seat test on him. (be able to keep the breathing good for 1.5 hours while setting in his car seat) Then they noticed he was getting jaundice. It was only at a 7, if it gets to a 10 they have to keep him even longer! So it was important to feed him as much as possible. I tried breast feeding once that day. But due to trying to get him to eat we ended up giving him bottles to get him healthy and out of there. As many of you know breastfeeding Dallin was something I really wanted to do so it was a disappointment watching him be put on a feeding tube, then going on a bottle and the one breastfeeding we did in NICU went awful! My friend Hillary has became my lactation specialist there will be a nice long blog later on about breastfeeding, you can choose to ignore that blog or read it! Again back on track it stunk but at least it was my milk. Then I had to take a CPR and choking lesson from the nurse. We took care of all that. It was crazy watching the progress he was making each time I would walk into the room. My kids came up that night with dinner.

Friday morning I came in caring my milk and the nurse said, you can keep that. I looked at her. And she said he's going home!! Ah Relief! We filled out all the paper work. His jaundice number was at 8.9 which is not a 10 so he was released!! We hung out in my room until I got released and headed home.

I would also like to thank everyone who had my kids or helped with my kids!

Ashlee for being the bus driver for Katelynn
Jill the kids spent the night over her house and hung out Tuesday
Wednesday and Friday Sarah had the kids
Thursday Dianne had the kids!

Specials thanks to these great women for helping out with my kids, it was nice not having to worry where my were or if they were having fun! Also for all the sweet calls, the visitors and texts it was nice! So thank you thank you!!

1 comment:

  1. You handled not being able to see your baby better than me. After four hours I went crazy and got out of bed without consulting the nurses first... They were not happy! You are doing a great job and were a very strong mama at the hospital! You are loved, for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete