Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Feeding

This maybe one of those "Way to much info blogs" so choose to read or stop when you wish!

As many of you know Dallin is our last child and with each of our children I always sets goals and of course that is to be the perfect mother!! But other then that I really wanted to breastfeed at least one of our children! Katelynn I was sick when I had her and I was just done so I did not even attempt to breastfeed. Aiden I think I tried to breastfeed him in the hospital, he did not go for it and I knew I was going back to work. So really did not push it. Maylee I knew after I had her I was going to be able to stay home. I really wanted to breast feed her, but really had no idea what I was doing. I assumed I just stuck "it" in her mouth and we were good to go. After week and half of pain, blood and tears I gave up.

Then we got pregnant with Dallin and I knew this was going to be my goal. So anytime I would see something that had anything to do with breastfeeding I would buy it! Gary thought that I was crazy but I was determined!! I also became maybe a little to comfortable with some of my friends and realize that everyone I talk to has a different breastfeeding journey and trials. Something that seems so one way really has about a million ways!! When I got close to the due date one of my really good friends Hillary and I were talking and she offered to help me with breastfeeding. I took her up on this offer. She came over about a week before the baby came and told me everything to prepare for to start off. We planned for her to go to the hospital to help me out.

Then May 17th came and Dallin was born and sent to NICU. Where they put a feeding tube in. At first I thought maybe not the worst thing. He is not getting used to the bottle. But once they took out the tube. We had to give him a bottle, that way we could measure the amount he was in taking. Also they had to match his IV with the amount of milk he was getting. Finally the IV came off. Now finally time to breastfeed. BUT NOPE! Dallin got jaundice which at this point the more milk he gets the more he poops the quicker he gets rid of the jaundice and gets to get out of the NICU! I tried to breastfeed him once he screamed the whole time. They only feed the NICU babies every 3 hours for 30 min. (this way they can measure the amount the babies are getting) So I tried for about 15 min then we gave him a bottle. Meanwhile I pumped I asked the use the hospitals they had one for the whole maturity ward! YIKES! Luckily Hillary let me borrow hers so I had Gary bring it up so Dallin could at least get my milk. On Friday we finally got to bring Dallin home. I had no idea how breast feeding was going to go....

Friday he would not latch, I would try for 15 min he would either scream or fall asleep I would hand him off to Gary. Then go upstairs pump then bring Gary the bottle. We did this all night.

Saturday morning he woke up and LATCHED!! I was so excited I really did not think he would latch this quickly!! The next feeding wanted nothing to do with it. Hillary came over at for the next feeding to help. And again he latched! We went back and fourth all day!

Since then we have had great days and well not such great days! I am not going to lie at times it is very painful! Also, At times I really do miss the bottle! I can just hand Dallin a bottle, no pain, Gary can feed him. I text to ask a question of normally or what the heck! Even though at times I get frustrated and tired I am not giving it up! I have had great support and am so grateful for it! And a positive thing about the NICU is Dallin will take a bottle, binkie and of course breastfeed! A few things I can't live with out though my short breastfeeding journey.

  • SUPPORT!
  • PUMP(good one, electric and double mostly if your a cow like me!")
  • ICE PACKS (then gel packs work best)
  • TEA BAGS ( HOT AND COLD)
  • BREASTFEEDING COVER (I also use mine as a wind block set Dallin on my lap and cover him up)
  • SOOTHING CREAM (not sure what this is called and to lazy to go upstairs)
  • Storage bags
  • SUPPORT Really I get such great calls, texts and just so much from great friends!
I am sure there is more, but cant think of anymore at this time!


After one week of breastfeeding Dallin and pumping we already have quite a bit of milk storage. We actually had to move it the other day when the door could not hold anymore and little rack thing fell off and all my milk went tumbling to the floor. Gary complained that we are going to have to buy another freezer just for my milk. One of the nurses in the hospital told me I was earning my spots. Not sure what we are going to do with all this milk, but can't just wash it down the sink. So much money down the drain. Got milk!




3 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE fan of breastfeeding. Hang in there. The first 6 weeks require serious commitment because the initial latch hurts so bad it makes you want to cry, but if you can hang in there it gets SO much better. It's not only a gift to your baby, but to you as well. Good for you. I am jealous you can make so much milk! I barely make enough for my kids let alone any extra. Hang onto that milk, it will come in handy one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing so well. That storage will come in handy for sure. You can use it for when he starts cereal or date nights or when you do decide to stop nursing. Keep it coming! I really do think you are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are breastfeeding. I never did my kids, and really wish I had at least tried. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete