I finally have a family history story. Now if only if it was only about my family.
During the summer a few of us made the goal to do at least 5 miles a day except for Sunday. We either walked or ran. Of course, we were not going to walk around the park a billion times. So that this makes sense, you have to know our walking personalities.
Marlo is crazy! Yes I love her, but she is and just because a road dead ends or runs into a mountain that is no reason to stop. She takes the phrase "Take the path less followed" very literal. I have learned not to dare joke around about going off a path, because before I know it, we are in the middle of the desert!
Monta is the fraud police and she finds any mail that has any one's address on it. She picks it up, takes it home, and mails it back to them. I know. Isn't she such a sweet person. There has been plenty of times that we have been running where Monta has brought home mail.
And then there is Me. I guess I hate to admit it, but I am the complainer, and maybe the one that always thinks they are crazy and someone is going to get hurt!! I am just concerned about their safety.
One day we are on one of our crazy journeys that Marlo takes us on and we end up going through the desert ending up on a road in the middle of nowhere. We walk by a pile of trash and Monta freaks out. "Oh my gosh look some one's address is just setting here!" So she starts digging through this trash and we start to find pictures, letters, and a family history book. Some dated back to 1845 it was really cool looking through the trash. So I, being the crazy one not having my mark in the story yet, decided we needed to try to find the family that this stuff belonged to. At worst, we thought we could donate it the family history center. Monta was like whatever, I am keeping the cookbook. That night, Gary and I did research online and found this lady's son. Gary said,"Are you going to call him?" I was a little nervous, but at the same time I thought, well that is why we did this I guess. So I called the guy whose name is also Gary.(confusing right) So this how the conversation started:
Korina-"Is this Gary?"
Gary- "HEY! Korina whats going on!"
I know a little weird right I started to explain the story and he was like.
Gary- "Wait this is not Korina, Korina is my neighbor this is not that Korina is it. "
Korina-"No No a complete stranger"
To say the least he could not believe that we had found this stuff, let alone contacted him. Finally, today he came and picked it up. He was so appreciative. His Mom's husband was a little on the strange side and threw it all out on the side of the road. It was such a neat experience to witness, when he looked through the pictures telling his wife story after story.
I just think it is awesome the Lord knew it would take all three of us, to bring all of this back to the family. If one of us would not have been there, this would have never happened!











This is so cool!! I can't believe you were able to find the guy!
ReplyDeleteThats awesome that you could return it to him.
ReplyDelete