Friday, July 23, 2010

Calling Suzy Homemaker!

Okay so if anyone knows me I am far from being the ideal perfect homemaker. I much rather be playing with my kids or outside. But I have always a itch to do something. Not exactly sure why. But why not? So today I finally did it I made my own laundry detergent. Are you impressed??? My friend Julie Morris (blog to the left) wrote about how she made it. And I thought why not. I thought it would take way to much time. And would it really be worth it. Just in case you are interested it the direction for making is:
6 cups of washing baking Soda not the kind you cook with( it is found in the laundry isle)
6 cups of Borax(found in Laundry isle)
4 Laundry Soap Bars( I read you can also use regular bar soap which would make it even cheaper)
That is the direction for one batch I went ahead and wanted to make enough so that I ran out of something. So I kept adding equal amounts of Borax and baking Soda till I ran out of Baking soda. And added a little bit more soap bar. You grate the laundry soap bars which I thought would take way to much time but it actually wasn't that bad. It went really quick. I also did not want to ruin my grater so I found one at the .99 cent store, but Julie used her food processor.
This is what it made! Total cost: $9.00
and you only use 2 Tablespoons per load. So I don't think I will have to buy laundry detergent till Christmas! I will let you know when I run out. I just hope I don't get sick of the scent!


I do have extra borax if you go to the link it gives you different ideas to do with your leftover borax!

1 comment:

  1. good for you!!! i am going to have to try it with different soaps too. ;)
    here's a direct link
    http://themorrisfam.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-know-that-this-is-all-over-internet.html

    ReplyDelete