School starts in a few weeks, and we have been working on Katelynns reading all summer long. She has been doing awesome. But the past week she acts as if she knows nothing!! And to say the least it is driving me crazy!! I don't care if she doesn't knows everything, I just want her to try and I can tell if she is trying. Katelynn's school they test the kids to see what reading group they get placed into. And I am worried she will go in there and not try. I don't care what reading groups she gets into as long as it is pushing her. It frustrates Gary and I beyond belief. We usually start reading with her. When one of us gets way to frustrated we end up sending her up to her room until finally she decides she wants to read. Then it goes smoothly. But I just do not think the teacher is going to go with this plan of sending my daughter to her room while at school. Plus now Katelynn hates reading it always begins with tears. Today was the same thing. Finally tonight she broke out in tears and said,"Your breaking my heart and I don't want to read because everyone always get mad at me!" My heart crumbled I felt like the worst Mom in the whole world.
So new plan of attack. I cut up tickets. Every night before dinner we are going to do her sight words and read a book. For every word she gets right for sight words. And for every page in a book she gets a ticket. Every 100 tickets is a $1.00. All day she can practice, Mom and Dad will help her and at night is when she will work for the tickets. She loves it. She was actually bringing me books and more sight words and I could tell she was actually trying.
I know I know some of you are thinking you shouldn't pay your daughter to read, but I have to find something that works. And I want Katelynn to love reading not dread it so for now we are going with this method until I find the "Perfect Mom" book, that I have been searching for the past 7 years!
1 week ago










I think you are a great mom! I am impressed you have so diligently worked with her all summer. Poor Tanner is basically on his own when it comes to reading. We haven't even looked at the sight words once! I guess it is time to start cramming!
ReplyDeleteKorina, My mother has already taught me that you have to do what you have to do. My brother always got chocolate cake if he did good on a spelling test, us girls didn't get anything... But that is what Matt needed to actually get things done! I'm impressed that you are working with her during the summer! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteI think that some kids need rewards in order to do something they don't like. Haha. You've tried other things and if they don't work then you have to try something else. It doesn't make you a bad mom at all!
ReplyDelete